Monday, August 11, 2008

ADD INTRO, BLOG NAME, and URL to your FB PROFILE



Kathryn Doyle writing here on August 1 in her suggestion New Facebook Quick Tip: Adding an Intro provides one of the most helpful tips for Genea-Bloggers. Put an intro beneath your Facebook profile photo --- and be sure to include the name of your blog and its url (those hot links are sure ways to attract readers).

I'm amazed at the number of Genea-Bloggers whose profile image does not include an introduction nor give link to their web site. And some don't even tell us the name of their blog or web site.

So let me shout out Kathryn's excellent advice: GO TO YOUR PROFILE PAGE AND ADD AN INTRODUCTION BENEATH YOUR PHOTO AND INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR WEB SITE AND ITS URL.

On the other hand it you don't wish for folks to come to your web site and read what you've written, leave it off. I didn't take the time to track down some web sites last evening because the authors had not included the url nor even the names of their blogs. One was a new member of the GBers on FB and one was an older experienced Genea-blogger whose name I recognize, whose work I once read with great interest, but whose location is now lost to me. I wished to go read --- but I can't figure out what or where.

Don't make us guess where your work is located. Give us a clue --- state your blog title and its url whenever and wherever possible.

Terry Thornton
Hill Country of Monroe County, Mississippi

5 comments:

Kathryn Doyle said...

Thanks, Thomas! If the shout-out doesn't work, the next time we'll grab Thomas, Miriam and Denise and start a choir.

Thomas MacEntee said...

Thanks Terry! (I think Kathryn meant to say Thanks, Terry and not me!)

I appreciate you emphasizing this!!

Terry Thornton said...

Kathryn, Thank you for making this good suggestion to start --- I can't believe all haven't followed your good and sound advice.

A choir of Genea-Bloggers --- wow!

TERRY

Midge Frazel said...

I felt intimated and did as I was told but it wasn't easy to add tem to that box so I typed them all in Word with links and copied and pasted them in. That worked.

Terry Thornton said...

MIDGE, It is confusing. I think the reason you had difficulty is you only have one website listed in your "Contact Information" at your profile. Had all of your websites been listed there in URL format, when you established that box below your photo and selected for your birthday, location, and website to show, ALL those URLs listed in your contact info would have been imported automatically.

I just went in and edited the box beneath my photo that heretofore just listed my birthday and selected the other options --- and, poof! all my websites/URLs from Contact info were imported.

Sorry you had a problem but I'd suggest strongly you add all your sites in the profile "contact" section and then let them be imported to that picture window. Try it.

TERRY