Thursday, August 14, 2008

An Index of Site Titles Published by Members of GBers on FB with Links to those Sites


by Terry Thornton
email: hillcountrymonroecounty@gmail.com

Below are titles and links to almost 150 websites written and published by some of the 133 members of the Genea-Bloggers Group on Facebook. Most of the links were obtained from individual GBer's profile pages at Facebook on August 13 and 14, 2008. A few links not listed at the profile page were added because of my personal knowledge of your publications.

It is my plan to publish the entire list in a special listing at my blog, Hill Country of Monroe County, Mississippi. I would like the list to be as complete as possible and need your help to finish it.

Note 1: If you are a member of GBers on FB and whose website/blog/publication is not listed below, please contact me if you wish to be included. If you publish additional websites you wish included in this index, please let me know and I'll add those titles/links.

Note 2: I did not add to the index a feature I much wished for --- after the title/link I wished to have the following statement: "by NAME OF WRITER" except on the four blogs I own. Because several of you post anonymously I didn't make any attempt to identify owner/writer/publisher but I feel such would be of value in future listings. If you wish your name to show on this index, please contact me.

Note 3: If you do not wish for your publication to be linked on this index, please request that it be removed.

Note 4: It is amazing how many members of GBers on FB don't have a clear notice or links to their webpages anywhere that I can find on the Profile page. I'm not talking about those of you who are readers and don't publish --- but experienced publishers of long standing who ignore the opportunity to post a link to their webpages on their profile. And I'm amazed at the number of links listed in the profile pages that are garbled and not workable. I recommend you double-check your Profile page and list your websites/blogs and verify that the url is workable.

Note 5: If my link below is broken, please let me know as soon as possible. Also please notify me if I've got spelling errors in the title of your website.

Note 6: I don't have time to go through all 133 profile pages again looking for your publications and links to them. If you update there, please update this listing also by either posting a comment here or by emailing me. Thanks.

Here are the titles and links to the publications of some of the GBers on FB.

Destination: Austin Family by Thomas MacEntee
Digital Storytelling by Midge Frazel
Inside the Magnolia Curtain by Terry Thornton
Lann Cemetery Blog by Terry Thornton

MacGenealogist by Ben Sayer
Midge Frazel's Home Page by Midge Frazel
New Hope Cemetery by Terry Thornton

The Educated Genealogist by Sheri Fenley
The Family Curator by Denise Levenick
TwigTalk

Valeehill Genealogy by Virginia Hill Travis
What's Past is Prologue by Donna Pointkouski
Whitley County Kinexxions by Becky Wiseman

No title: a website by Carol Head (click to view)
No title: a website by Linda Stienstra (click to view)


30 comments:

Kathryn Doyle said...

Wow, Terry, what an amazing collection you have created for your fellow genea-bloggers! Thank you very much for your efforts!

Becky said...

Terry, thanks. I started a list of my own but gave up trying to keep it updated after a few days! Kinexxions is listed twice, which I appreciate but perhaps you could add (the website) and (the blog) after, or within, the appropriate link?

Jasia said...

Terry, Are you maybe on the "new" facebook? Because I'm on the old facebook and there are no links showing to anyone's blogs from anyone's pages. I have all my blogs and web sites listed on my "edit profile" page but I don't see any of them when I look at my actual profile page. I don't see any links to your blogs from your profile either.

I know you've mentioned before that we should all put a short paragraph below our profile pictures but I don't see a way to do that on the "old" facebook either.

By each of my links (Creative Gene, Creative Genealogy, and Haplogroup H), please add "by Jasia". Also note that the one link you have is "Haplogroup". It should be "Haplogroup H".

Thanks!

Jasia said...

Sorry about that Terry. If I click on "information" I do see my links and your links. I just didn't think to open "boxes" to find the info.

Terry Thornton said...

KATHRYN, I've been needing a list of sites too. I hope it will help.

BECKY, Yes, I noticed I ended up with two. BIG K links to one site Little k links to another --- did I miss the name? Please advise. I'll never think of you as anything but Big K and Little k again. LOL! Let me know the name you wish to list for one and I'll update the index.

TERRY

Terry Thornton said...

JASIA, Yes, I'm using "new" FB -- and if a member of the group lists his/her blogs by name/url they are easy to find in the Profile section (generally under Contacts). Some also list their main website in a comment under their photo --- and others have moved their URLs/links to other places. It gets confusing to say the least --- but I believe strongly that one of the benefits of posting a profile is to highlight ones work --- and to not post the name of the website and provide a link is missing a golden opportunity.

But the layout is difficult to use --- I wish each profile for our group provided a lightlighted list of website/blog links just below the name in bold face print! LOL!

One well-known blogger member of GB/FB didn't mention his site by name nor provide a link --- I did a Google and found it --- but on most of the newer members of the group I don't have a clue as to what they write/publish if they don't list websites in their profiles. I'm off my soapbox for now. . .

TERRY

wendy said...

Terry - could you please add mine?
http://allmybranches.wordpress.com
& you can put my name next to it if you want!
Thanks!

wendy said...

PS - Love that you've done this! I can't wait to start checking those blogs that I haven't read yet! Thanks so much!

Terry Thornton said...

Thanks Wendy. I've looked at all of the sites on the list but haven't had time to do much reading. Some interesting work being done by the GBers Group on FB.
TERRY

Colleen said...

Terry

What a great list! Thanks. The link to The Oracle of OMcHodoy brings me to a blogger "the blog is not found" page. Can you check the link? www.omchodoy.blogspot.com.

Thanks!

Colleen said...

LOLOL and thanks for including Izzie's blog!

Becky said...

Terry, if you would, please add my name to my sites: kinexxions (website and blog) and Whitley County Kinexxions. Thanks a bunch. This is a resource I'm sure many will find useful, I know I will.

Richard Cheek said...

Terry, you can post my name with my blog, The Cheek That Doth Not Fade by Richard Cheek

Terry Thornton said...

WENDY, COLLEEN, BECKY, and RICHARD,

Thanks for helping me to improve this list. Your requests have been added --- your names, titles, links, broken links etc should now be on the index. Let me know if additional work is needed.

Terry Thornton
Fulton, MS
HILL COUNTRY OF MONROE COUNTY, MISSISSIPPI

looking4ancestors said...

This is a great idea, Terry! Thanks for taking on this project. Would you please correct the title of my blog? It is LOOKING4ANCESTORS - all in uppercase letters. I know I'm picky! ;-) And by all means add my name - Kathryn Lake Hogan.

Sheri said...

Terry,

Thank you for all the work you have done in making this list. Could you add my name to my blog - The Educated Genealogist - Sheri Fenley

Now to find the time to read all of the great blogs!

Sheri Fenley

Bill West said...

Terry,
Great idea. And please add my name to
my blog.

Thanks for doing all this hard work!

Bill

Terry Thornton said...

KATHRYN, SHERI, and BILL,

Additions are done. And thanks to some of the other contributors at Bootcamp for assisting with the updates. I most appreciate the help!

TERRY

Janet Iles said...

What a great list of blogs. Thanks for compiling it. No time to get any work done with so many great articles to read.

You can add my name to my blog. Janet the Researcher

Janet Iles

Terry Thornton said...

JANET, Updated with your name. Thanks.
TERRY

Denise Levenick said...

Thank you Terry, for a tackling a useful and much-appreciated task. I have been traveling and missed this until today, but would love to be included on your list: Family Curator www.familycurator.blogspot.com

thanks, Denise Levenick

Terry Thornton said...

DENISE, Updated with your blog and your name. THANKS.
TERRY

Louisiana Genealogy Blogs said...

Hello! - Louisiana Genealogy Blog's Facebook Profile

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=760019779

Louisiana Genealogy Blog
http://louisianagenealogyblog.blogspot.com

Terry Thornton said...

Louisiana Genealogy Blog:

Please verify your membership in GB Group FB --- the url to your profile doesn't seem to work. Without a name there is no way for me to verify your membership in the group.

Thanks,
Terry Thornton
Fulton, MS
HILL COUNTRY OF MONROE COUNTY MISSISSIPPI

Louisiana Genealogy Blogs said...

Terry,
Getting a long URL into a mailing list and on Blogger is often a pain when it wraps around and disappears! I don't post enough comments to remember to use TinyURL when on Blogger. I'll test it again.

My Facebook Profile

http://tiny.cc/fblagenealogy


Louisiana Genealogy Blogs
http://tiny.cc/lagenealogy

louisianagenealogyblogs@yahoo.com

Terry Thornton said...

Louisiana Genealogy Blogs:

A Facebook profile is a requirement for membership in this group --- I still can't verify your group membership. Please advise.

Facebook still has me blocked from posting messages through FB or through GB Group at FB --- so please contact me direct at my email address.

Terry Thornton
hillcountrymonroecounty@gmailcom

Msteri said...

Nice List! I submitted to join Genea-Bloggers tonight. Would you please add my Blog to your collection when I am accepted to the group?

My blog is Heritage Happens @ http://heritagehappens.blogspot.com

Thank you Terry! Nice job you are doing!

Terry Thornton said...

Msteri,

Your site, Heritage Happens, is now on the index at both Bootcamp and Hill Country.

Welcome to the Genea-Bloggers Group at Facebook. I look forward to reading your contributions.

Terry Thornton
Fulton, MS
HILL COUNTRY OF MONROE COUNTY MISSISSIPPI

Ben Sayer said...

Hi Terry! Thanks for taking the time to compile this list. I'm very interested in seeing what others are up to. It's too bad we can't syndicate this list.

Please add my blog, as I joined after you first compiled the list.

Ben Sayer
MacGenealogist.com

Terry Thornton said...

BEN, I've updated the index at both Bootcamp and at Hill Country. Thank for sending me the information needed.

TERRY