Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My New Backup Toy


AcomData pureDrive PDHD1000USE-72 - hard drive - 1 TB - Hi-Speed USB / eSATAI promised Mr. MacEntee that I would share some infomation with our fellow genea-bloggers about my newest toy – a 1 TB external drive – 4.5 by 7.5 inches by Acomdata™. I never thought I would be describing a drive in these words but it is actually cute!

On August 1, 2008 when Thomas published Today is Data Back Up Day on Destination: Austin Family, he included a photograph of a burnt-out computer tower. That was a wake-up moment for me. What immediately came to mind was the Oakland Hills Fire of October 20, 1991, almost seventeen years ago. The fire (just two years after the Loma Prieta Earthquake) guaranteed my continued involvement with a local disaster preparedness committee. I spent several years helping to organize neighborhoods, including my own, so that people who live in earthquake-country and in fire-prone areas, had the skills, supplies and information necessary to deal with the aftermath of a disaster.

One of the lessons learned was to create a "grab list" – a handy listing of the important items to take with you in case you are forced to evacuate your home in a hurry. Family photos are at the top of most lists but computer data are probably a close second. One look at that burned-out computer reminded me that over the years I had neglected to update my preparedness list to include the changing technology.

Thomas had suggested a specific drive but I found that it was not compatible with my iMac and its operating system. I found the Acomdata pureDrive – priced right, small enough to grab in an emergency and with one terrabyte of storage! We've come a long way from the megabytes we needed to store back in 1991.


The new toy in its new home.

Thank you, Thomas, for the nudge. What about the rest of you? Do you have a data backup plan?

American Red Cross Preparedness Information

Disaster Preparedness for Pets

Small Business Preparedness

State of California Office of Emergency Services with downloadable pdf tip sheets.

2 comments:

Holly Timm said...

One terabyte? Ohmigosh, I remember back to my first computer when having two floppy drives was a very big deal and then my first hard drive, all of 20mg. But that's not at all the point of your article which is back up back up and then back up.

The first of every month may work for some but too many of those days would end up on a weekday or even Saturday when I may be otherwise occupied so perhaps for some of us setting a reminder for every 4 or 5 weeks might be the solution.

I have just now set mine up at every 5th Sunday with a reminder starting 2 days before so no excuse for not getting it done at some point that weekend!

Kathryn Doyle said...

Holly,

Yes, I remember those 20 mB days well. I like your fifth Sunday plan but with my Mac I can set up my back ups to run automatically. Maybe we need Thomas to write something up about how to set up automatic back ups for Windows. I'll ask him - thanks for the prompt.