Tabbloid is a web-based application that allows you to generate a PDF newsletter using feeds from your favorite blogs. Tabbloid is one of those discoveries that you wonder how you ever did without it.
As for uses, there are a myriad that I can think of:
- it would allow me to catch up on blog posts when I am away for an extended period of time. I could go to a business center at a hotel and print off pages or just download them to my laptop to read later
- it is great for producing newsletters for your friends and family who aren't into blogs or blog readers but have an interest in news on certain topics
- if you manage a society or an association, such as The Association of Graveyard Rabbits, it would be an easy way to generate a weekly wrap up of posts.
While this service seems to be fairly new, one limitation I've found: I can only generate one newsletter per email address. If I wanted several different newsletters, say based on different topics, I'd have to use different e-mail addresses.
Here's how you can get started using Tabbloid:
1. Go to the Tabbloid website at http://www.tabbloid.com/. Click Get Started.
2. In the Add A Feed URL: field, enter the address of one of your favorite blogs. Click Add. A confirmation message will appear. Click OK.
3. Continue adding addresses. You may receive a message that a feed could not be found for a specific blog:
4. In that case, go to the blog and see if you can find the exact feed address (for a blog using Feedburner it would being with http://feeds.feedburner.com/...). Use that address and you will likely receive a confirmation message.
5. Once you have selected all the feeds, enter the delivery information under Delivery Options. You will receive an email from Tabbloid to confirm your email address prior to your first delivery. Make sure you click Save Delivery Options when finished.
6. If you want to generate an immediate copy of the newsletter, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Generate Current Issue Now.
7. Depending upon the number feeds, the generation process may take a few minutes. Once finished, the print dialog using your default printer will appear. You can opt to print a hard copy or just click Cancel.
8. A PDF copy will appear on screen when finished: