Thursday, December 11, 2008

Backup Your Blogger-Based Blog

Good news on the blog backup front especially if your blog resides on the Blogger platform. Back in September, I posted about backing up your Blogger template (especially if you've configured lots of widgets) and if you wanted to backup your blog posts, your only alternative was to create a parallel, non-advertised blog over on WordPress by using their import from Blogger feature.

Well now it seems that Blogger has finally gotten on the page and realized the possibility of losing users to WordPress as they backed up their blog and examined all the neat features at WordPress. (Full disclosure: I have blogs on both WordPress and Blogger and while I think that WordPress is far superior and more in line with the "zen of blogging" I stick with Blogger due to its popularity)

To backup your Blogger blog, on the Settings tab, locate the Blog Tools section at the top.



Click Export Your Blog and the blog will be exported in xml format to a location you specify. It is just that easy.



I will be posting a reminder about backing up your blog template and your blog posts as part of the next Data Backup Day.

10 comments:

Carolyn said...

This is just the information that I am looking for. I'm wanting to start backing up my blogs and didn't know where to start.
I can't believe you posted just what I'm needing! :)

FamilyTwigs (Sheri Bush) said...

Nice, clean and easy. As always, Thomas, thank you!

TERRY SNYDER said...

That was easy! Thanks, Thomas.

Greta Koehl said...

Thanks for your easy-to-follow instructions. I would join everyone in the big back-up on January 1, but I already did the back-up!

damarisfish said...

01 January 2009 & I just Did It! Thank you for the heads up. I have more peace of mind now.

Gayle Gresham said...

No way! It can't be that easy! I've been wondering how to save my blog after hearing another blog network had crashed. Thank you for Data Backup Day and including this blog post again! My blog is safe.

hummer said...

I am late finding this, but thank you and I really needed this.

Michelle Goodrum said...

I found this as part of your monthly Data Backup Day post. Thanks!!

Liz said...

Thomas, that was TOO incredibly easy! Thank you for the great information. Now I just hope you have instructions somewhere, if God forbid, I ever have to restore my blog from the backup! :)

Heather Rojo said...

Can you believe that it's been almost two years and I hadn't done this. Everything is done in word and then posted onto Blogger, but I feel better now that I've backed it up right from Blogger. I also have everything slurped to Blurb every three months for a "hard copy".