Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Genea-Blogs - Have You Checked Them Out?

One of my resolutions for 2009 is to do more outreach and networking with the Genea-Blogger community.  So I decided to check in on new readers using the Follow feature in Blogger for Destination: Austin Family and Facebook Bootcamp for Genea-Bloggers as a means of fulfilling my commitment.

Once I noted new followers, I followed them back, added them to my Google Reader (since this is what drives the Blog List widget for both Destination: Austin Family and Facebook Bootcamp for Genea-Bloggers), then made sure the blog owners were already in the Genea-Blogger group on Facebook.  If not, I added them as a Friend and then extended an invite to the Genea-Blogger group.

Also, I remembered to use Networked Blogs in Facebook and the Join Blog Network feature so I could track their posts.

Is it just me, or have many new genea-blogs started up in the past two weeks?  My theories: it is an exercise in New Year's resolution fulfillment for the authors or since the holidays tend to bring families together, it is a natural development after spending quality time with family and discussing family history.

Here are a few of the new blogs I've found - check them out!

Chapter & Wurst - Exloring My German Heritage

GENIAUS - The Musings of an Amateur Australian Genealogist Excited By Web 2.0 Applications

Grave Mappers - Join Grave Mappers—we're creating our own interactive cemetery maps!

Greta's Genealogy Blog - Seriously obsessed with family research since 2005

Logan County Genealogy - Logan County, Illinois, Genealogy -- Solving the Mystery of our History

Miles' Genealogy Tips

Nana's Diggins - My Notes and Thoughts, Photos and Documents About My Genealogical Research

Random Relatives - Let's face it, true genealogists don't want anything to be "random" about their relatives!!

If you can, please welcome these new blogs and their owners to the genea-blogosphere, follow them on Blogger, add them to your reader as well as to Networked Blogs on Facebook!

9 comments:

Bibliaugrapher said...

Thanks, Thomas, for adding the Geniaus blog to the list. I don't think there are many blogs from the southern hemisphere there - I hope that more will join up.
Regards, Geniaus

JoLyn said...

Thanks for adding Grave Mappers to your list of new blogs! And thanks for all you do to help!
JoLyn at Grave Mappers

DianaR said...

Thanks for the mention Thomas!! Thanks to you I now have friends on Facebook BESIDES my 2 teenage nieces :-)

I appreciate the warm welcome and having (non-related) followers to my blog is more than I expected this early in the game.

Becky Jamison said...

Thanks, Thomas. I discovered a few blogs that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. And am following them! You're just full of all kinds of information! I appreciate all your hard work!

Greta Koehl said...

Thank you for mentioning my blog. This has also helped me find new blogs and I'm already learning things from them.

Judith Richards Shubert said...

You are a treasure, Thomas. Thanks for all of your helpful advice and the neat things you teach us everyday. I've found some new friends because of this list.
Judy

Claudia's thoughts said...

Just found your blog. I have been Genealogy for just two years. I have gotten back to the great grandparenta and a few ggrandparents. Not to long ago I set up a Blogger account and I have found an entirely new comunity. I certainly need help and hope to follow the tips that everyone has posted to aid others in their quest.

Claudia's thoughts said...

http://claudiasgenealogyblog.blogspot.com/

I have just started my blog and I guess I should have posted the address in the previous comment.

Claudia

ET said...

Thanks so much for your mention of A Canadian Family.
Since discovering Genea-bloggers about a week ago I've been working my way through about a dozen Genea-blogger sites a day. I'm blown away by the wide variety of topics, writing styles, and approaches and I've already come away with many great ideas about what to do next and how to improve my blog.
I also thank you for the encouragement you've given me offline, and I thank other Genea-Bloggers for helping me solve me over the first hurdles.
Evelyn in Montreal