Thursday, February 26, 2009

Blogger's Followers Widget Now Integrated With Google Friend Connect

When I was updating my Twitter followers using Twitter Mosaic, I checked the layout of widgets over at Destination: Austin Family and saw something new: a link to Google Friend Connect below the listing of my followers.

Here is an overview of what you and your readers will now see and how each function works:

1.  The Followers section appears with several new links.



2.  Click on Follow and you will be prompted to sign in to Google Accounts if you are not already signed in.



3.  Once signed in, your profile photo and the Settings and Sign Out links will appear.



4.  Click Settings and the Settings dialog appears where you can review basic settings, see all the sites you are following and also manage your followers.



5.  Click Invite Your Friends at the bottom of the Followers widget and the Follow dialog appears.  You can invite friends via e-mail or . . .



6.  . . . click the Share tab and links to various social media applications including Facebook and Twitter appear.



7.  Click Manage and a full page of your followers appears (no more limit of 10 per page and the need to click Next).



8.  Finally, click on Google Friend Connect and you will be taken to the Google Friend Connect page to utilize this feature.  


At this point, I have not fully explored Google Friend Connect - if I feel it has value or if other geneabloggers want more information, I will post about it at a later date.

Note: Google also offers a video presentation explaining how to use the Follow featurfe:


9 comments:

Debbie said...

This is strange. I've gone to some of the sites that I follow and my picture does not show under Followers anymore. I had to click "Sign In" on each site and when I did, it said I was following anonymously, when I know I was following these sites publicly before. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

Bill West said...

Thomas,
Have you noticed a decline in your
number of followers since this started? Some other bloggers have and were told by the Blogspot help
folks that their numbers hadn't really declined and it eventually
go back to the lost number.

For example, I had 49 followers
but it now says 42.

Thomas MacEntee said...

I have seen a fluctuation in my Follower count over the past few days and now I think it may have been due to backend adjustments in converting Follow to being integrated with Google Friend Connect.

I will see what I can come up with via research as to what other bloggers (genea and non-genea) are experiencing and if Google/Blogger has given an official explanation.

Also, I wonder if it relates to Debbie's comment about following anonymously . . .

Thomas

Debbie said...

I found the following on the Known Issues for Blogger blog:

"We are in the process of integrating with Google Friend Connect, which may temporarily affect the Following feature for some users. Specifically, users who already use Following and Friend Connect may notice missing blogs in their profile, as well as a decrease in the number of public Followers on their blogs.

This is because we have set these users to "anonymous" to avoid linking the profiles of Blogger and Friend Connect users without their permission. They are still following privately and will able to make themselves public again.

After the official launch of the Friend Connect integration, we will communicate with the affected users and instruct them how to reset their relationship to public. To reiterate: the number of Followers has not changed, and we believe that the launch will improve the visibility of your blog and community. We will post more details on Blogger Buzz as the launch approaches."

So, I guess we just need to wait until they contact us. Or, I have found that I can go to my blog dashboard and click on Manage under Blogs I'm Following and change each one separately from anonymous to public, but I really don't want to do that.

Debbie

Sheri said...

Thomas,

I had 72 followers for my blog before this change-over. I now have 52 and I don't know where they are. I certainly could not have pissed off that many people could I have? Any clue as to how to fix this?

Les said...

Thomas, I'm not sure if my problem is connected, but for the last week I can't leave a comment on certain blogs. These blogs have word verification (non blogspot sites I believe)I choose google account for ID and then its just stay as loading. The last site this happened on was Footnote Mavens. I used both FF and IE same results. Any thoughts?

Thomas MacEntee said...

Les - I've had the same problem all day - on and off. I think it is a Google/Blogger glitch - I will see if there is some "news" about it on their site.

Thomas

Les said...

Yes I agree, even the follow-up comments on your reply post was not received. last month I had trouble with the google bookmarks not loading. Problem was posted in the help forum by myself and others. problem was resolved but no fix ever posted by google.

Kady said...

I'm not a happy camper today. ALL of my followers are missing. On the folloer widget, the only option is to choose some colors - for what? We have that option someplace else. I don't care for these "updates". I don't need to link anything to Google so why fix things if they're not broken? Well, they're broken now! Thanks for nothing.